Random Fit Fact for the Week: One teaspoon of cinnamon daily can lower blood sugar levels, possibly helping to prevent or control diabetes. It tastes great in coffee, tea, oatmeal, or sprinkled on a sweet potato…give it a try!
Vacation Derailing Your Workout?
Vacations are good any time of the year and are strongly encouraged to reset and decompress, but that doesn’t mean that your workouts have to suffer while you’re away. The key is not to stress about your workouts or feel like you can’t enjoy yourself on vacation. You can enjoy your vacation without derailing your workout & nutrition with a few simple tricks:
- Be sure to pack some snacks such as granola bars, trail mix, mixed nuts, dried fruit, etc. that you can grab & eat when you are at the airport or exploring the city.
- Pack your gym shoes – when you arrive, ask your hotel concierge to direct you to a nearby walking path or park. Not only will you get a good workout in, but you’ll get to enjoy the outdoors and explore local attractions.
- Incorporate exercise into sightseeing. Look for tours that incorporate walking, kayaking, biking, climbing, etc.
- Find restaurants that serve locally grown specialty dishes. Make wise choices no matter where you eat and avoid really sugary drinks.
- If you have 25-30 minutes before or after breakfast, go outside and do a quick body weight circuit – 3 sets of each exercise, 15-20 reps.
- Oblique Burpee
- Jump Squat
- Forward/Rear Lunges (one leg at a time)
- Jump Lunges with Torso Twist
- Diamond Push-up
- Jack Knife Sit-up
- Jump Rope (you could pack one!)
- Side Plank